Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Chicken Came First, That is the Answer!

The chicken came first. The age old question has perplexed many over the years and may even confuse and confound you now! But I will explain to you, in as short as a paragraph, as to why it is the chicken that came first.

In the evolutionary process, small mutations occur and if those mutations are beneficial to the species then that animal survives, procreates and spreads its mutation, which is now considered an adaptation. Over time if a species goes through more and more mutations, if more and more adaptations occur within one part of the species then a new species is eventually developed; the changes are so great that the two of the same species can no longer reproduce with each other and are now considered two distinct species. This is the evolutionary process. Now consider the animal that came before the chicken. It must have been a type of bird but it was missing one thing that would not have made it a “chicken,” I will assume now that it was either the size of the beak, the color of the feathers or the size and shape of the feathers. It may have also been the size and make of the egg. In any case once that mutation occurred, the bird that was born would be considered close enough to a chicken that we can call it a chicken. The egg it hatched out from would still be the egg of the previous bird, but the mutated bird that hatched out would be considered a chicken. Whatever adaptation it was, the egg, feathers or beak, it must have had a very distinctive advantage in the survival. (I will not exclude a human role in this; if humans were to be able to more easily catch this new type of bird, “chicken,” and were able to breed it, and then the adaptation would survive that way) So then as that one new chicken spread its mutation around, the chickens now begin to lay eggs which we can consider chicken eggs.

Although that was a long paragraph I still believe I relayed my idea in a rational and logical manner that should be very convincing to most people, although I have to include that it is currently 3:28 a.m. right now and I may have some of the logic in a disarray because of that, but I still think the argument is solid. Now if you disagree write in a comment of your disagreement and your reasoning as to why I am wrong and then we can discuss it further. As for now I’m off to dreamland and hoping that it comes soon.

No comments: